Niall's Travel Blog

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

An interesting journey and turned away at the inn

After my trip to Katutura I picked up my stuff and headed to a petrol station on the outskirts of the city to try to catch a minibus to Swakopmund. I duly pay my namibian 80 dollars (about 9 euro) for the four hour journey and am told to wait in the minibus where there is about 6 people waiting already. The funny thing about these minibuses is they don't leave until it's full to the brim and when 14 seated passengers (as well as two kids lying on the floor) arrive two hours later it takes off! On the way one guy tries to make the best of the situation by cosying up to a girl and chatting her up and it works because he leaves with her phone number. Another guy beside me gets a bit tired and falls asleep on my shoulder for most of the journey!

I arrive in Swakopmund well after dark (sunset is about 6pm here) and the B&B I was supposed to be staying in is full. It's about a twenty minute walk to the next hostel and after walking 10 minutes down the main street past some unsavoury characters I take my Dad's advice and hop in a taxi to the next hostel (which is closed) before finally arriving at a lodge with a spare dorm bed. I met my new room mates, a group of English guys about my age travelling through South Africa, Namibia and Botswana. They were out fishing that day and were cooking up a storm. They kindly offer me a plate, a cold beer, a bit of craic in the hotel pub and a snowboarding session in the morning which was a vast improvement on my planned salami sandwich, warm water, early night and morning stroll around the town!

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home