Niall's Travel Blog

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Pausing in Padova

The main square at Padova, Prata della Valle, is beautiful - a grass park within a circular stream lined by statues of Padovans past. There is also a bustling food market and I treat myself to some gourmet delights. The bike attracts a lot of interest from the bewildered locals and tourists. I try to ask one guy who spoke English, after a lengthy chat, whether I could sleep the night at his but I think he thought I was joking. I spend an hour fruitlessly trying to find accommodation and I start to resign myself to cycling out of the city in darkness as I sit to eat.

A group of American students pass by and I call to them, finding out that they are on a Christian mission and are staying in the local hostel and would be delighted to guide me there. The thought of a shower is too compelling and I decide to go for it. Later, one of the American girls knocks on my door and leaves me an envelope which contains two things: a letter outlining how great she thinks the trip is and €35 which she said she felt she had to give me. I return the money to her and get an early night.

The next day is fantastically relaxing, involving reading in the square, catching up on correspondance and writing in a cafe terrace while drinking coffee and watching Padova pass me by. It's a magnificent lifestyle they lead here, very relaxed and social. After coffee, dinner and a spritz I head back to the hostel where I chat to a Japanese student and American art aficionado over some wine and cheese. I return to my room to that Murphy's Law instance particular to hostels: there will always be a loud snorer sleeping next to you. My unchargeable iPod, whose cable is resting chez Anthony in Bergamo, is sorely missed.

3 comment(s):

Hey Niall,

I was wondering what happened to you - haven't seen any of the CTYI crowd in a long while! I read the back entries on this last night - sounds like you're setting yourself up for an amazing adventure.
I hope it all goes well - being a fellow cyclist, I pray for your safety on the roads, and look forward to much entertainment reading this! Good luck!
-brian

By Blogger Irishman, at 12:49 p.m.  

Niall a chara,

Bíonn mé féin Greta and Rory ag breathnú go minic ar do bhlog agus ionadh orainn faoin eachtra mór atá ar siúl agat. Deir Rory:
"Go n'eirigh an bóthar leat agus nár buailfidh sé i do phus é"
Deir Greta go gcaithfidh tú "Póg Mo Thóin" a chur ar do rothar mar bheadh do thóin an-tinn tar éis an méid rothaíochta atá déanta agat go dtí seo! Beir bua, agus go n-éirí leat xxx Liz Greta & Rory

By Blogger Liz, at 2:13 a.m.  

What a great resource!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:52 a.m.  

Post a comment

<< Home